Sunday, September 9, 2012

Wedding Week - Honeymoon: Week 1

One year ago we were flying home from the Dominican Republic and beginning the second part of our honeymoon, which consisted of spending a week moving into our brand new home, stocking it full of everything we never knew we needed, and picking up the third member of our family. But first, we had to do the whole R&R thing, and where better to do that than at the beach? The beach in the Caribbean, of course. Here's the photo story of our Honeymoon: Week 1.

We stayed at the Excellence All-Inclusive Resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. It was a wonderful, relaxing week and the resort was great. It was all-inclusive so we ate and drank and polished off our mini fridge and then ate and drank some more. It was fabulous. If only life could always be like that. I had mimosas every morning at the breakfast buffet, at which I ate like a king and David usually had a couple eggs and bacon. I filled two plates with food and then went up for seconds. Man, do I love breakfast. David mostly just laughed at me.

Here's the view from our room.
The ground floor was nice because we had a hammock! This is when we first got there.
The beach was lovely, although it was soooo hot we did pretty much stay under the huts when we weren't in the water.


We ate dinner out nightly at the resort's several restaurants and tried to make a point of trying all of them. I think there was only one we missed...not too shabby. It was fun to dress up but usually by then the sun and fun of the day had wiped us out. Tough life, huh?

We took 3 excursions while we were there. The first was ziplining, though I don't have any photos because we didn't pay to have the guide follow us on the lines. We just wanted to go and enjoy it. We did snap a few photos on the drive back, which included a pretty sweet safari tour of the DR. Our guide was amazing. I didn't understand everything he said but he had everyone laughing.
The second excursion was my favorite, of course - swimming with the dolphins. And a little kissing, too.
Our dolphin excursion also included kissing a sea lion, so needless to say I was a happy girl.
We went to a private island for the third excursion and I'll just say it wasn't the best excursion/day ever but we tried to make the best of it. We took a very long boat ride out to the island which was nice on the way there, but rainy, cold and very rough on the way back. Here we are, still happy on the way out to the island.
I won't get into details, but it was nice to be back from that trip. We were so tired I'm not sure we even went to dinner that night.

The last two days we just relaxed at the resort. It's not so bad when your toughest daily decisions include whether you want to go to the beach or the pool and what kind of food you want for dinner.


We had one fancy, special "newlywed" dinner where they spoiled us with champagne, too much wine, rose petals and delicious food.
We learned quickly the best places to eat at the resort. We were so excited for Italian that we went there the first night, but realized that Italian food anywhere short of Italy itself just can't hold a candle up to what we're used to living in New England. We've got it made here when it comes to Italian restaurants. My point? Italian in the Dominican? Not so much. It was exactly the same with the seafood, surprisingly enough. New England just kicks far too much booty in those areas. We're spoiled by where we live in our two favorite eating categories, and that was a nice thing to learn. Oh, the other awesome thing I learned was that I had great Dominican hair. Curly hair girls understand me...it's so hard to deal with your hair on a regular basis, let alone in a world of extreme humidity...so I was nervous. I don't know what was in the resort water, but my hair actually cooperated, and that'll make anyone a happy happy girl.
Yeah, I haven't been able to get it to do that again since we left DR. Trust me, I've tried. Bummer.

All in all it was very relaxing.....



But it was also nice to come home, especially knowing 1) we had another week off, and 2) we were going to be picking up Miss Oatsy! When we got home my parents had left us a welcome home sign, a fridge and cabinets full of food, and an apple pie at our new house. What a sweet welcome home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...