Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Craft #1 Complete: Advent Calendar

I really love Advent Calendars. I've always enjoyed countdowns (anyone who used to be my friend on AIM knows) so this is right up my alley and I wanted to make us one this year. I've been looking for inspiration for a couple months now and here are some of my favorites:



Gosh I love those mini mittens! And I did spend a good week searching for mini knitted cute mittens before I knew it was time to move on. It's already December so time is of the essence with this project. So two of the other ones above that I really like use buckets...shocking. Of course I have a bunch of them lying around. My mom used little white ones at my bridal shower and had a ton leftover, so she pawned them off on me and until now I've had no clue what to do with them. Until now........

Here's my twist on the bucket Advent Calendar:
The mini white buckets are from Oriental Trading. I used white because it's what I had, but they also have silver, gold, red, galvanized....almost all for less than $1/bucket. There's even a make-your-own advent calendar kit if you don't want to make everything yourself. I simply glued the numbers to burlap-covered paper (glued burlap to cardstock with gluestick...yeah I'm 3) and then made a loop of twine taped to the back of the cardstock to hook onto the bucket handle. Pretty simple and it cost me nothing because I used all things I already had. I put little red scrolls inside each with fun things to do during the month of December. We're already a week in so we've got some making up to do.

It would be remiss for me not to mention that to make this possible, we had to create another shelf on the current shelf. You know, cause I have to make things complicated. As I've said before, I love having a husband with power tools :) David whipped up this wayy nicer-than-I-asked-for-but-awesome shelf:
I covered it with a piece of linen and put the garland in front. Here's a shot of the built-in shelves with the new addition. And I finally completed a project for Christmas...woot woot.

The beauty of the buckets is that you can fit anything in them. We have the little scrolls with fun things to do every day, but you could put an ornament in each to hang that day, or I've seen people put little gifts in Advent calendars too, if you want to go all Hanukkah on your Christmas calendar. Gifts could be fun to do with kids I think, so maybe someday :) The other great thing is that the numbers are just hung on the buckets so I can take them off if I want to use the buckets for something else throughout the year.

So there it is...I give you my first completed Christmas project. I'm working on a couple more now so we'll see if I manage to finish them before Christmas morning.

2 comments:

basha said...

Love your ideas, and crafti-ness! Wish I had the patience, and the time! Oh well, I guess we all have our skillsets--I spend way too much time growing food, vegetables, fruit, and herbs--more a type of insanity than passion.
Basha

Jen said...

And I wish I was good at those things! I can't keep plants alive and my garden attempt last year wasn't great but we'll keep trying!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...