Sunday, January 27, 2013

[Shadow] Boxing Some Memories

I'm kind of in small-project-mode right now....doing some fun little things for the house. Yesterday I put the finishing touches on two very important shadowboxes.

For the first one, I wanted to showcase our wedding invitation and all its contents. I designed these myself and had them printed by Cards & Pockets. It was inexpensive but the quality was wonderful and I couldn't have been happier with the way they turned out.

I put the invite, the RSVP card, and the Wedding Weekend Details card in the shadowbox first, but it felt like something was missing...something to contrast the matchy-matchy-ness of these three pieces. We just used nice white envelopes when we sent out the wedding invitations, but they sent our sample in a pretty green lined envelope....perfect. I stuck that in the box behind the invitation and held them in place with tiny squares of mounting tape. I finished them off with with the pearl pins that came with the box (I purchased this shadowbox at Home Goods) and here's my first box of memories:

The second one was made for a very special puppy. David's dog Nicky passed away this past summer at age 13 and his mom gave us one of her collars to keep....the one I bought Nicky to wear when she was in our wedding. It didn't take long for me to figure out what I wanted to do with it. I knew it had to be showcased. So I bought another shadowbox (this one was from JoAnns) and started with her collar and our favorite photo of her from our wedding. David cut a whiffleball in half to fit in the box because there was nothing she loved to do more than play whiffleball. Then I had a talented Etsy crafter make us her name out of metal wire. It finished off Nick's shadowbox perfectly.
David's parents kept her tags, but that would be another fun item to include if you wanted to do this for your own pet, and anything else they loved to play with, cuddle with, chew on, etc.

I'm really happy with how these turned out....now I just have to find the perfect place for them :)

1 comments:

AJ said...

oh jen (or should i start calling you mini-martha stewart)they both came out great - nicks made me cry - miss that sweet puppy - what a great way to remember both special memories!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...