Thursday, June 27, 2013

Bridal Shower Gift Idea: Towel Wedding Cake

My love of gift giving started with none other than my fabulous mom. She's gonna get an ego boost today. I have to give credit where it's due, and this idea is all hers, with a little bit of me thrown in for this particular shower. For many years my mom's been making these amazing "wedding cakes" out of white towels for bridal showers. They are always a huge hit, so when she was making one recently I roped her into letting me take some pictures in exchange for my help. So today, it's made with love and oats....and mom :)
She starts with 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels and 4 washcloths. You will also need ribbon (she uses thick satin ribbon - this time we used blue because it was the wedding color) and sewing pins. She was also looking to add something extra this time, so I suggested a pedestal cake tray.
The towels and cake stand were from Kohl's and the ribbon was from JoAnn Fabrics. The pins we already had, but can be purchased at JoAnn's as well, in a multi-color package. We used the white and a color that was close to the color of the ribbon.
Start by folding each towel in half lengthwise and then in half again.
Then begin carefully rolling each towel, and adding the other three as you go...
When all four are together you will have a nice big roll, or a "layer of the cake".
Do the same with each set of four towels to make three layers. Note: for the middle layer we only folded the towels in thirds to make the cake look more even. It depends on what towels you buy (thickness, length, width, etc), so you may have to play around with them for a bit to figure out how it looks best. All in all though...it's a very simple project.

Then just put a few white pins to hold the towels in place.
Then add the ribbon...my mom just folded the end under and then pinned it with some pins that were similar to the color of the ribbon.
Do this with each layer and you have a towel cake!
In the past my mom used to fan a washcloth for the top, but this time we tried to think of something unique and special. She came up with the idea of a personalized first Christmas ornament, so I got my Etsy searching on. We found a million great ideas, but ultimately decided on this one from JWDBoutique and the color matched the ribbon perfectly.
You all know I love Etsy, but this seller was especially spectacular and got us this ornament in less than a week, and it was perfect. We attached it by simply taping it to a dowel stuck (pointer down) in the top layer of towels.
And viola....cake of towels. Included: 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels, 4 washcloths, a cake stand, and a personalized Christmas ornament. What an adorable and thoughtful idea.
 It came out beautifully and the bride loved it.
Thanks mom for the great idea as always and for letting me help (and take a million pics) :)

1 comments:

basha said...

wonderful fun!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...