Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Master Bedroom Remodel: Paneled Wall Painting

Ok here's what I've been up to while I've been MIA. After we installed the panels on the wall in the bedroom, you could still see the seams in between each 4' panel, so David went around and caulked all the seams, as well as around the windows and doors. Then I used the wood filler (because as you know I have a spackle obsession, and wood filler's along those lines) to fill in all the nail holes.
Once all that dried, it was time to do some lovely sanding. I dropclothed the furniture and sanded all my wood filled holes, and then I wiped everything down with a dustcloth. Yes, up and down each panel. Don't forget that when working with MDF, always sand and then use something DRY to wipe off the dust. MDF does not take well to moisture.
I started by just running the roller along the chair rail. I did a coat of primer first.
And then I did the bottom of the chair rail and the top of the panels.
When I started rolling I was quickly disappointed to figure out that I would have to prime and paint down each groove. Yipee. It's a bit rough in the grooves....you can see the unprimed one on the left and the primed one on the right.
So I went up and down each one and then used the roller.
The priming took me about 4 hours from start to finish, which includes prepping the room and dusting the panels (the wood filling and sanding were already done). Then I let the primer dry for a few hours. Later that afternoon I sanded again with my extra fine sanding block because some of that annoying grit from the grooves got in the primer. Stupid MDF. It was really fast to sand after priming though, and then I dusted them off again and broke out the paint.
We're using the same color paint as we use on all the trim, Valspar's Snowcap White, but I had them match it for Olympic this time because it was a better price and gets better ratings than the Valspar. Go figure. It's a paint and primer in one, so you may be wondering why I primed at all. I'm not sure if it was 100% necessary or not, but considering my first MDF paneling experience, I figured better safe than sorry.
For the trim we use semi-gloss paint and for the walls we use satin, so I used satin paint on the panels as well. We don't need that much gloss screaming at us while we sleep. I followed the same process with the paint as with the primer...front of chair rail, underneath chair rail, down each groove, and then over it all with the roller. The paint took about 3 hours...so that was my Saturday.

And that's where we are right now. We're painted and looking real purdy. David's been feeling under the weather for the last few days, so we haven't done any more work in the bedroom. I, however, did a whole bunch of little updates so I'll be back with a post on that soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...